Iran Visa is a legal document which allows someone to travel to Iran and stay here for a specific period of time. Iran visa issues at the Embassies, Consulate Generals or Interest Bureau of I.R Iran overseas after having authorization (reference) number from Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) or, in some cases, at the borders and international airports in Iran.
According to the regulations of the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), Visitors to Iran must obtain a visa from one of the Iranian diplomatic missions unless they come from one of the visa exempt countries or countries eligible for visa on arrival. All visitors must hold a passport valid for 6 months and 2 blank pages. This visa is issued for a maximum stay of 30 days with option of Extensions in Iran. The visa remains valid for a period of 3 months from the date of issue.
Due to the new regulations, starting on September 23rd 2011, all visa applicants, along with other required documents, must enclose the proof of an adequate medical travel insurance coverage from Iranian or Foreign Insurance Agents to allow smooth processing of their application.
Different Types of Iranian Visa
Depending on your purpose of travel to Iran, you may choose different types of visa to enter. A complete list of Iranian Visa types will help you choose according to your need.
- Iran Tourist Visa
- Iran Business Entry Visa
- Iran Student Visa
- Iran Pilgrimage Visa
- Iran Work Permit Visa
- Iran Press Visa
- Iran Airport Entry or Transit Visa
- Iran Diplomatic and Service Visa
- Iran Entry or Transit Visa for Cargo Carrying Drivers
- Iran Visa for Entry to Free Trading Zones and Industrial Areas (FTZ)
How to Apply For Iran Tourist Visa?
Through a Travel Agency (Agency Visa Support)
The most common and the safest way to obtain Iran Visa for almost all foreigners who want to visit Iran. Following steps are needed to obtain Iran Visa should you use Apply Iran Visa (AIV) website.
- Fill the application form online or download, fill and send the PDF form of Iran Visa application.
- Submit or mail a color scan of your passport’s first page.
- Wait to receive authorization number for your visa issued by MFA of I.R. Iran from AIV.
- Refer to Iran Embassy, General Consulate or Interest Bureau indicated in the form.
- Pay your visa stamp fee.
- Collect the visa in your passport.
- Pay us.
What you’ll pay as visa stamp fee is different from your payment to your Travel Agent.
Visa on Arival (VOA)
If you don't have enough time to apply Visa through an agency or you are sure enough that your nationality allows you to apply Iran visa in the Iran International Airports, you can use this method. To obtain Iran Visa on arrival follow below steps.
- Arrive to one of the international airports, at the passport check step look for Iran Visa office issuance.
- Fill the Visa Application Form (Airport Visa Application Form).
- Pay your visa in cash right there (list of prices for each country).
- Collect your visa.
According to new rules in visa issuance in the airports, travelers who get Airport Visa are asked to pay both Visa fee and Insurance which will be delivered right there in the airport. But if your own insurance company is covering your world-wide you don’t need to pay for the insurance in the airport. For this you must carry a legal document or cetificate such as ID card to prove you have the insurance already.
Group travelers are highly recommended to obtain visa before arrival.
It’s highly recommended to double check with expected airlines as some airlines reject boarding without pre-issued visa.
Airport Visa can be extended under especial circumstances when you are in Iran.
- All types of Iran issued visa can be extended once you are in Iran on the basis of justifiable reasons and approval of the mentioned Bureau.
- Foreign Aliens Affairs Department of Passport and Immigration Police is in charge of Iran tourist visa extension.
- Almost all nations can hold Iran visa except Israel passport holders.
- Despite public concept, having some countries Visa such as Israel in your passport doesn’t mean 100 % Iran visa rejection.